Before the season officially begins it's always fun to name your top 25. I take somewhat of a unique approach to rank what I think are the top 25 programs in the country. I took in to account last seasons success, returning and up and coming players, coaching changes and a little bit of scheduling to determine team strength. I rank these 25 teams as they compare to each other, so although certain teams may not seem like top 10 or 15 programs, they are, according to my opinion and compared to the teams that surround them. I also took it upon myself to look into their schedules through the first 5 games of the season to determine their ranking and record after those initial games. I was surprised to find out how weak a lot of the so called 'big teams' non-conference schedules were when the mid-major conference's powers are continually battered for their weak schedules. So here we go let's talk rankings.
1. USC- The Trojans have a killer schedule this year both in and out of conference and should be very fun to watch. Their first couple non-conference games are at Virginia and against Ohio State, but they are fortunate to play both Oregon and Arizona State at home. I see them starting out 5-0 and retaining the #1 ranking.

2. Georgia- Unless your in SEC country you just gotta hate Georgia, everything from the cocky look on the coach's face to their stupid win over Hawaii in the Sugar bowl. But hey they're stacked on both sides of the ball and should do well this year. They open with back to back home games against Georgia State and Central Michigan, woo hoo! I see them surviving at South Carolina and against Bama, but I think they will fall at Arizona State. After five games they'll be 4-1 and ranked # 6.

3. Ohio State- The overrated Buckeyes have a killer schedule that include Youngstown State, Ohio, Troy, and Minnesota in their first five games. Not including USC, the only quality team they play in their first five games, the combined the win loss record of their other 4 opponents last years was 22-25. Putting all that aside they should still be a quality team but with a loss to USC early and a starting record of 4-1 they'll still manage somehow to ranked # 5 at this point.

4. Oklahoma- What can I say about Oklahoma they're going to be good and should end up in a BCS bowl again, maybe they'll even win a BCS bowl. They play a few quality teams in Cincy and TCU in their first five games but they should have no problem starting the season 5-0, moving them up to the # 2 ranking.

5. Florida- Florida will continue to have a great offense this year with Tebow and a great coach in Urban Meyer. With tough road wins at Tennessee and Arkansas they should start 5-0 moving up a couple notches to # 3.

6. Missouri- They're first five games are easily doable with opponents like Southeastern Missouri State, Buffalo and Nevada. I wouldn't look past Illinois or Nebraska, but the Tigers can start out 5-0 moving them to the # 4 team in the nation.

7. West Virginia- If they get a scare at all during they're first five games it will be at East Carolina. If they can get past ECU then Pat White can lead his team to a 5-0 start to begin the season. They'll move up to # 7 if they pull off the perfect start.

8. Clemson- There is a lot of crap talking about the ACC saying they are the trash of the BCS conference's this year but Clemson should be the class of the trash. They say Clemson always finds a way to loose games they shouldn't but I don't buy into theories like that. Their first 5 games are pathetic with two division I AA opponents, NC State and Maryland. If they can get past Bama at home they should have no problem starting out 5-0 and staying at # 8.

9. LSU- Wouldn't it be funny if Appalachian State pulled off another huge upset at the defending national champs house, life isn't that good though. LSU will lose to their only quality opponent in their first five games at Auburn making them 4-1 and only dropping to # 10 in the nation.

10. Texas- This is one of those teams I don't see as a top ten team but this is wear they need to fit in compared to who's around them. Texas is going to have kind of a tough year with a good 4 looses at least on the horizon due to their road opponents. They should survive their first five games ok with only one lose at Colorado. At 4-1 they'll drop to # 12 and then it will be all downhill from there.

11. Texas Tech- With two division I AA in their first five match ups and a combined record of 31-31 last year, this high powered offense should breeze through their first five games. They should be a contender for the Big 12 championship this year. After starting 5-0 they'll move up to # 9.
12. BYU- Got to represent the mid-majors. The cougars have dominated the MWC the last couple years and we all expect the same this year. With expectations so in cougar town coach Bronco Mendenhall is helping the cougars not to look past Northern Iowa who took a trip to the division I AA quarterfinals last year. The cougars first five of six to start the season are in the state of Utah. If they can get past Washington on the road and UCLA at home they should start out 5-0 and move up to # 11.

13. Kansas- Many expect Kansas to be as good this year as they were last year, if not better; and they have the schedule they didn't have last year to prove it. During their first five they should be fine though with only one lose to South Florida. A 4-1 record will drop them to # 14.

14. Auburn- I don't give Auburn as much love as everybody else does because they are overrated. I would love to see them prove me wrong but somehow they'll find a way to lose games. I predict them winning over LSU at home but losing to Tennessee at home. They should handle Louisiana-Monroe, Southern Miss, and Mississippi State fine. A 4-1 record drops them to # 16 in my nation.

15. Wisconsin- Another overrated Big Ten school. This is my first team to bite the big one and drop put of my top 25. I think they can handle Akron and Marshall, but they will probably lose at Fresno State, at Michigan and against Ohio State. With a 2-3 record they get a big fat NR after five games.

16. Arizona State- I like Arizona State I think they are on the up n' up in the Pac 10 and I have them beating the beloved Georgia at home, but losing at CAL the following week. A 4-1 record moves them up to # 13.

17. Tennessee- They look alright to me. I see them beating UCLA at the Rose Bowl, losing to Florida at home a beating Auburn on the road. 4-1 sounds pretty good and they'll likely move up to # 15.

18. Illinois- The fighting Illini have a pretty good first five schedule. With some stars still on the roster I can see them winning on the road at Penn State and Michigan. Their only first five lose will probably be the season opener at Mizzou. A 4-1 record them will move them up a notch to # 17.

19. Oregon- Opening the season with Washington and Utah State at home should be a done deal but loses at Purdue and against Boise State, thats right Boise State, will knock them out of the top 25. Sorry ducks 3-2 isn't good enough, NR.

20. Virginia Tech- I predict the Hokies to barely scrape by at East Carolina the toughest opponent of their first five. They better watch out for the Tar Heels though, they could very well beat VT as they host them at home this year. I also predict VT to fall at Nebraska as well. With two somewhat weak match ups 3-2 is not good enough, NR.

21. Penn State- The Nittany Lions will be ok, but aren't they always 'ok'. Loses to Oregon State and Illinois both at home brings them to a 3-2 record to start and a NR.

22. South Florida- I don't think they will start out like last year but one lose to Central Florida is close. An impressive win on their resume will be against Kansas and a 4-1 record will bring them up to # 18 in my land.

23. Fresno State- Only the second mid-major to show up in the top 25 to start the year. Fresno State has a fun schedule starting the year with Rutgers, Wisconsin and at UCLA. They're only lose should be in the Rose Bowl and a 4-1 start bring them to # 19.

24. Wake Forest- The demon deacons might be an iffy choice for the preseason poll but what the heck. With loses at Florida State and against Clemson the get knocked out anyway, 3-2 NR.

25. Pittsburgh-Pitt is the only team on this list that had a losing record last year, but this year looks promising, especially with the late season win over West Virginia last year. A fairly easy first five schedule may only yield one lose to South Florida. A pleasing 4-1 record brings them to # 20.
3 comments:
What?!! No NOTRE DAME?? Just kidding! So are these pre-season rankings, or the rankings after five games?
...nevermind, I just answered my own question
Didn't see too many games this weekend, but I did watch USC Virginia. USC is really, really good. The game was over in the first quarter after USC scored touchdowns on it's first three possessions while holding Uva to three three and outs. The only score Uva got was a touchdown that was primarily a result of three USC 15 yard penalties. The receivers look a lot better this year, especially Damien Williams, who transferred from Arkansas. SC is loaded on offense with players all over as well as the defense that everyone is already talking about. If they can continue to play hard they are going to be tough to beat. I can't wait for the game versus Ohio State. I think it will be a very sad day for the state of Ohio.
Mark
Post a Comment